Tuesday 5 June 2012

London, England - Day 3

CHINATOWN

The Ivy last night was outstanding.  Classic British cuisine with superb service.  It's a fantastic restaurant for people-watching, and the tables are very close together so conversations can be overheard.  Next to us was a table of three foppish boys, aged 16 - 18 I would say, who ordered very adventurously.  Most of their conversation consisted of "Ya" and "Oh, ya!"
We had another slow start today but that was just as well as the crowds were out in force for the next royal appearance.  Robin and I slipped along to Pimlico to the Tate Britain for the "Picasso in London" exhibition.  It exceeded my expectations.  It was comprehensive and informative and there were some of his very famous paintings like "Child with Dove" and "Three Dancers"  Afterwards we browsed the museum shop.  Museum shops are brilliant in my opinion.  The items are unique and different and I seldom leave without a few purchases (like today).  Near the Tate Britain is a street called Ponsonby Terrace SW1, which made me a little homesick.
We visited Harrods to pick up some jubilee souvenirs, and lunch at the oyster bar in the food hall.  We had the seafood platter which came with caviar (with proper condiments), crayfish, lobster, oysters, prawns and crab, and a small bottle of champagne which complimented it nicely.  It's a wonderful store.  Robin left me to it after lunch, and by the time I re-emerged the rain had set in.
My final destination of the day was the National Portrait Gallery for the exhibition on the queen.  This was a rather disappointing display in 4 tiny rooms with too many people for the space provided.  The exhibition was mostly of iconic photographs with a few grand paintings thrown in.
Walked back to the hotel via Haymarket.  The block with NZ House in it was closed off with lots of police lined up outside the building.  I guess John was visiting.
Have managed to get through the entire holiday without a jacket but today I succumbed.  The rain and bitterly cold wind got to me, and I bought myself one from Zara.  I'll wear it on the plane so at least I don't have to worry about packing it.  Lord, if you could only see the explosion of stuff out of my suitcases.  I hate to think how much excess baggage I have.
We are going to the Savoy Grill for dinner tonight, at The Savoy in The Strand.  This is a Gordon Ramsay restaurant, although he isn't the chef there.  It's similar cuisine to The Ivy which will keep Dad happy.  Meat and mash is his mantra.

No comments:

Post a Comment